Blatantly stolen from a Facebook rant I posted last year. It applies even more now!
What do I want for my birthday and Christmas? Thanks for asking.
1. I would like for the media to stop referring to the Alt-Right as such. They are more appropriately called Fascists, White Supremacists or Neo-Nazis. The Nazi salute is an important clue, as are their racist slogans. Cut the soft talk, and call them by their real name.
2. I would also like for an immediate halt to referring to any Neo-Nazi as “dapper,” “urbane,” “alt-right intellectual” or any other such normalizing terms. The original Nazis looked really snazzy, but let’s not be misled by their swell suits and treat them with respect and authority that they do not deserve.
3. I would like to ratchet down on the level of respect accorded to anyone espousing White Supremacist views. Where are the hard questions, journalists? Do we all need to act like this is a Schweddy Balls sketch? Show some energy and determination!
4. In support of the items above, I would like for anyone who was thinking of buying me a gift to consider subscribing to a real live newspaper. One with actual journalists working at it. We need a tough media now more than ever.
5. A lovely card is always appropriate, particularly if it mentions a donation to the ACLU, SPLC or any other freedom fighting group close to my heart.
6. More than anything, I would like to see the party of Lincoln stand up and start screaming that this is not what they represent in any way, shape or form. There are good Republicans, and I want to fucking start hearing them protesting the authoritarian direction the president elect is trying to take us. Thanks to John McCain for starting it rolling with a statement against torture. Mitt Romney, we all saw you skulking out of Trump Tower. Is this your vision of America? I don’t think so. You’re a good man, start acting like America is more important than a job.
SIde note: no, I will not be stopping any time soon. Like Indiana Jones, I fucking hate Nazis.